Vacation is by no means cheap, but there are ways to make it a little less expensive. Before you hit the road this summer, check out these 8 tips for reducing your expenses.
1. Go during the week. Many places have lower weekday rates,not to mention how much less crowded your destination might be!
2. Pack your own food. Not only is bringing your own food less expensive, it’s also usually much healthier. If you don’t want to pack perishables in a cooler, you could pack some apples, pretzels, jerky, or other foods.
3. Prepare your vehicle. Air up your tires. Roll up your windows and use the air conditioning. Both of those ideas help your vehicle get better gas mileage. Ask your mechanic for more tips.
4. Look online for coupons. There are many websites to look at for coupons. My favorite is www.RetailMeNot.com. You can find coupons for restaurants, stores, and more!
5. Set a limit for souvenirs or have the kids buy their own. Souvenirs may be fun to buy, but they’re a huge expense. Decide before you leave exactly how much you’re willing to spend on them.
6. Sleep outside. If you want to save money on lodging, go camping rather than staying at a motel.
7. Ask for discounts. Some places may give you a discount just for asking. You can also ask if they offer family discounts or discounts for veterans AAA members, or members of other organizations to which you belong.
8. Leave business cards at your destinations. Though this isn’t a tip to save money, it could be a tip to help you earn some!
Article by Randi Millward