Try swapping in tuna for beef in enchiladas; tuna is an excellent source of protein and much lower in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than many other protein choices. Tuna also has essential vitamins and minerals, and the majority of fat in tuna comes from Omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce the risk of heart disease. Many studies have found that people who eat fish 2 or more times a week have lower rates of heart disease! And at under $3 (depending on retailer) a pouch, it’s a whole lot more affordable!
Chili is a great way to sneak some veggies (and even fruit!) into your kids’ tummies. And studies have shown that tomatoes, which are packed with vitamins and lycopene, may help reduce heart disease risk and protect against certain types of cancers—in fact, canned tomatoes contain more nutrients and lycopene because they are pre-cooked, which enhances their nutritional content. Plus, many other ingredients key to Mexican cuisine, such as such as canned corn, are inexpensive—you can celebrate Cinco de Mayo without breaking your grocery budget!
Hickory Tuna Enchilada
- 2 (4.5 oz.) pouches StarKist Tuna Creations®, Hickory Smoked
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups canned enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (cheddar and jack blend)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until softened. Add corn, tomatoes and Tuna Creations® and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds to soften. Place 1 cup of enchilada sauce in bottom of a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Place 1/2 cup of the tuna and corn mixture in the middle of each tortilla. Fold tortilla over filling and roll. Place all 8 in casserole dish, seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Cheese should be melted.
Prep Time: 10 minutes,
Cooking Time: 25 minutes,
Quick Fiesta Turkey Chili
- 12 oz. ground turkey or extra lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) DEL MONTE® Diced Tomatoes, No Salt Added
- 1 can (8 oz.) DEL MONTE® Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (15-1/4 oz.) DEL MONTE® Whole Kernel Corn, No Salt Added, drained
- 2 cups kidney or black beans, cooked
- 1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro springs
- 4 warm corn tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups DEL MONTE® SunFresh® Mandarin Oranges
- 1-1/2 cups DEL MONTE® Fruit Naturals®Pineapple Chunks
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
Cook turkey with chili powder and cumin in large saucepan until turkey is no longer pink. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn and beans; simmer 10 minutes.
Serve with cheese and cilantro and 4 corn tortillas, warmed. As a side salad, combine mandarin oranges, pineapple, and grapes. Serve over lettuce.