Our diet plays a huge role in deciding the longevity of our lives. Balanced meals and nutritional food goes a long way in ensuring that our body stays healthy while junk foods are a sure shot way to cut off a few years from our lives. While most of us are aware of these facts, not many know what healthy foods means and if a balanced diet means different things for different people.
Let’s look into a few facts of healthy foods in order to understand them better:
- Carbohydrates are not bad – Most of us tend to believe that all carbohydrates are bad and therefore we are quick to eliminate them from out diet. This is not the right way for a balanced diet. Carbohydrates are needed for long term energy release and those who lead an active life which is filled exercise and other such activities must consume carbohydrates in the right quantities. Ignore carbohydrates and adopting an all protein diet will wreck havoc with your system.
- Children need fats – As adult out requirement of fat is not too much, but growing children need fat and excluding them from their diet would be a folly. Growing children are mostly very active and playful and the fat that they consume in their food is quickly burnt up. However, do learn to distinguish between good fats and bad ones. Do not expose children to hydrogenated oils but instead white butter churned from fresh cream would be a better alternative.
- Fiber is essential – A mistake most of us make is excluding fiber from our diets. This will spell trouble for your digestive system in more ways than one. A balanced and healthy diet must include a fair amount of fiber. While fruits and vegetables are a great source of fiber, it will help to wheat and other pulses also in your diet.
- Fresh is best – In these hectic times, many of us, tend to opt for frozen foods. These foods are very high on preservatives and extremely low on nutrition and so should be avoided as far as possible. Even home cooked frozen food loses its nutritional value on reheating and this is why freshly cooked food is considered the best option when looking for a healthy diet plan.
- Water is the best drink – Aerated beverages, coffee and even packed juices, all spell trouble. Water is the healthiest and safest drink of all and an integral part of a healthy diet. Do not quench your thirst with other drinks and try and get in as much water as you can. Remember 8 glasses of water is necessary for us on a daily basis.
Healthy eating is the one sure shot way to ensure that your system works well so that we stay away from diseases and enjoy a healthier and longer life. Eating right and exercising accordingly is the mantra to a healthy life. Keep the above pointers in mind and design a well balanced diet for yourself so as to enjoy better health.