Homeless Prevention, Illinois

Homeless PreventionWhat is the purpose of this service?
The Homeless Prevention Program provides rental assistance, utility assistance and supportive services directly related to the prevention of homelessness to eligible individuals and families who are in danger of eviction, foreclosure or homelessness or are currently homeless. The program is designed to stabilize individuals and families in their existing homes, shorten the amount of time that individuals and families stay in shelters and assist individuals and families with securing affordable housing.

Who can receive these services?
Persons who may be eligible include households that are in immediate danger of eviction, foreclosure or homelessness or are currently homeless. The household must document a temporary economic crisis beyond its control and must be able to demonstrate an ability to meet the prospective rental/utility obligations after the assistance has been granted based on current or anticipated income.

Over 14,000 households were served in FY2007, the majority of households were families.

What services are provided?
Homeless prevention services are provided through Illinois Homeless Services Continua of Care. This is a network of local governments, community organizations and non-profit agencies that are geographically linked together to cover the service needs of the entire state.

• Payment of rent arrears to prevent eviction (3 months maximum).
  • Payment of a rent or security deposit (2 months maximum).
  • Payment of utility bills and arrearage.
  • Supportive services to prevent homelessness or repeated episodes of homelessness, include:
  • Housing Location/Inspection
  • Job Preparation/Employment Services
  • Counseling
  • Outreach
  • Case Management

Find more information here

Share and Spread the Word: Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0

Comments

1. Avis Beauford says

I am a single mom of 3 & I am homeless.I dont have any help & um tired of living house to house with my kids.I been suffering as well as my kids they keep being transfered to different schools & um to my breaking point. Try not to give up and keep going for my kids cause I knw aint nobody else going to love them like I do. I am just tired of them have yo live under these conditions.

2. arkeeta minor says

I am a single mother of 4 i have been fir awhile please i have no more money an the county wont help me please. Help me i got a place november first but i need help for this month i do have income but im almost out of money for te motel im at i feel like giving up please someone out here please help me

3. arkeeta minor says

Im a single mother and i am homless in the state of mn i have no more money an my county office will not help me please someone out there help me i dont want to seperate my children.

4. Devin says

I am a single mother of 2. My kids are 2 and 1. They have the same father. We are currently on a waiting list for a income based apartment and are within months of recieving one. I am staying with my kids father while I am waiting. It is not a good situation. Him and I do not get along at all. We try to stay out of each others way but in a little apartment it is very hard. I do work and work almost everyday. He screams at me daily over a bowl in the sink or a toy left out. He is very mentally abusive to me and I am at the end of my rope. All i want is a place to raise my children. All i want is a place to call my own where I am not tip toeing around someon worrying constantly about doing something wrong. He is very controlling, which is one reason we are not together anymore. So he is taking this opportunity to control every aspect while i wait on the apartment. I am asking for some kind of help. Is there ways to speed up the process for people who are in despatare need?

5. Jean says

I may be able to be of some assistance to you. Give me a call @ 708-515-7033. I am part of an organization that helps pregnant women

6. Rasheeda says

Hello I am currently homeless I have a toddler and pregnant with baby #2. Both of them have the same father but because of our financial issues and homelessness we are going our separate ways. I do not know what to do. So I am asking for help.

7. Yvette says

Hello, I am a single mother of two and am currently homeless. I am actively looking for a job and interviewing. The past few years have been really ruff and now I find myself without a home. I get assistance from the state but that is not enough to pay bills and take care of my family. Please help…

8. sierra dunlop says

hi my name is sierra im 25 i have two kids a boy and a girl its hard for me to do anything i have a feonly and im in need of alot of help can you please help me and my wonderful kids

9. audrellia says

I’m struggling right now living with a friend and her landlord does not want any one in the apartment that’s not on the lease. So if you can I can use a little help. I do have a job so I can pay rent. I just need help with the first month and security deposit. I would really appreciate it, thankks

10. sina sao says

hi im a single mom with a wonderful,smart,chraming 3year old son. his name is hasanni he means everything to me,changed my life in so many ways some times i learn things from him. any way im homeless i have no where to go and i qown my son my life to make his batter….
    help all i have is my son and god no income