Children are often very good at making friends and will mostly find friends where ever they go. This is one of the reasons why we as adults rarely bother about finding friends for them. However, with busy schedules and nuclear families, the concept of play dates have become very important to the upbringing of a child. The need to organize time for kids to play with each other is crucial in helping them develop social skills as well as enjoy.
The importance of play dates cannot be overlooked at all. Some pointers of what makes play dates crucial for a child are listed below:
- Fun time – Everyone needs peers and friends. As parents we cannot possibly overlook this need of our kids. The time they spend with friends during a play date provides them with entertainment and fun. This fun goes a long way in ensuring that the child turns out to be a happy and satisfied one.
- Social time – Play dates allow kids to socialize at their own level. Of course the kids do not need to learn to have tea with the queen, but they must learn certain social etiquette, which play dates teach them. Right from saying hello, to playing nicely, cleaning up after the play to thanking the host for having them, kids learn all of this during a play date. These social skills create a foundation for other more developed ones that adult life will demand of them.
- Energy release – Play dates will help your child release energy by playing with other kids. As the games progress, kids run around, play with each other and match each others stamina. All this action helps to release physical energy and will not only make your kid eat better but also sleep more soundly.
- Skill development – Children on play dates tend to pick up several skills. They observe each other and will pick up on many motor skills and even language skills. This is why a child is more likely to learn swimming in a group as opposed to alone. Children imitate each other and gather many new skills during play dates.
- Mom advantage – Play dates also work very well for moms who can interact with other moms while their kids play together. Indeed this adult interaction comes as a welcome break for most moms who are happy to socialize while the kids are having fun too.
The advantages of play dates are many. All you need to do is organize them in a well planned way. Make sure that the time for these dates is not too long. Keep snacks handy since kids often tend to get hungry during play. Do not have the date between more than two or three kids, since this can lead to fights. These simple tips will help you to organize great play dates for your kids and the advantages of these interactions will be clearly visible to you as your child grows up.