Most of us are aware of the advantages of healthy foods. However, not all of us know how to add these healthy foods in our diet plans. Not knowing what to eat and what foods will be beneficial can often lead us to make wrong choices. This is why learning how to choose healthy foods is very important.
Below is a list of some tips that will help us choose healthy foods so that we can maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Natural is best – When looking at healthy eating options, remember that natural foods that do not contain preservatives of any kind are the best foods. Fresh fruits are much healthier than canned fruits. Similarly preserved meats are not as good as fresh meat. Again vegetables that are frozen cannot compare in nutrition to vegetables that are fresh. When looking for healthy foods the idea is to stick with natural foods and half the battle is won as is.
- Processed sugars are bad – Yes, a banana is a healthy food item; however a banana cake is not healthy. Processed sugars and cornflower based products spell doom. Steer clear of these as far as possible. Eat fresh fruits, berries and other such items that will appease the desire for sweets. Do not opt for sugar based products like cake, pastries etc.
- Carbonated drinks spell doom – Nothing could be worse that carbonated drinks. Do not quench your thirst by consuming these drinks. Stick with water as far as possible and if you must, have a glass of freshly squeezed juice. The packed version of juiced is laden with sugars and not at all healthy.
- Greens are a must – Green vegetables are very important for a healthy meal. Add as much salad and green vegetables to your diet plan as possible. Spinach, broccoli and other similar greens should be steamed instead of cooked so as to retain most of their nutrients. Colored bell peppers and zucchinis are full of vitamins and minerals and should be consumed in large quantities.
- Processed flour is trouble- Pasta, bread, pizzas and other items made from processed flour are bad for the system in more ways than one. Instead of opting for processed flour, work with whole grain products. Whole grain offers a variety of nutrients and is a healthy carbohydrate and also has good fiber to offer.
- Fresh fish and lean meats are good – When looking for forms of protein, opt for fresh fish since it is full of omega 3 and lean meats since they cut out the fat content of the portion. Tofu and pulses are also great sources of protein though animal meats are any day higher in protein content.
Choosing healthy foods is not rocket science. Just a few tips will help you to stay on top of things and avoid eating unhealthy foods. So the next time you step out for a meal or go out grocery shopping keep these tips in mind and pick out the healthy option from your choices.
What do you think?
(Please take a few seconds and leave your comments below. It would be a huge help.)
If you enjoyed this article, get email updates (it’s free).
(don’t miss to activate your subscription, otherwise you will not get the updates)