Independent Living means having the option to choose to live or remain in your home or community setting, with emphasis on community based supports and services. This includes such services as information and referral sources, independent living skills training, peer support, system and individual advocacy, and other independent living services.
How do I qualify for services?
To be eligible for Independent Living services an individual:
- Must have a significant physical, mental, cognitive or sensory impairment that impedes or substantially limits their ability to function independently in the family or the community; and
- Must be able to benefit from independent living services by improving their ability to function, continue functioning, or move toward functioning independently within the family or the community.
- Some services are based on economic need.
Independent Living services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Mobility training
- Personal Assistance Services
- Physical rehabilitation
- Provision of needed prosthesis, other appliances and devices
- Community awareness programs to enhance the understanding and integration into society of individuals with disabilities
- Interpreter and reader services
- Individual and group social and recreational services
To apply for Independent Living services, you should contact the nearest Center for Independent Living. Visit the Louisiana Workforce Commission website for additional information.
Primary Phone Number: ( 877 ) 219 – 7327
Fax Number: ( 318 ) 688 – 7823
Independent Living Program Coordinator
( 225 ) 219 – 2225