Assistance for Single Moms in Kansas

Single moms can receive help and assistance in all cities and counties across the state of Kansas. Assistance programs help with free food, housing costs, rent, energy bills, mortgages, and free health care.

Food Assistance & Nutrition Program
Lower income and struggling families and single moms can receive food from this assistance program. From the local grocery store, they will be able to buy groceries and food with the government aid provided to them. Another important goal of this program is to provide access to a healthy, nutritious diet for these lower income households. Call 888-369-4777 to contact the Food Assistance Program.

Free Food in Kansas
Tens of thousands of Kansas families and single mothers receive help each and every month from the dozens of nonprofit organizations, food banks, pantries, and distribution centers in the state. Call 316-265-4421 to call the Kansas Food Bank for assistance.

Child Care Subsidy Program
This program will aid many types of families, including working families, single moms, the lower-income, individuals that are in education or job training activities, and even teen parents who are completing their high school degree or GED, by helping pay for their child care bills. Call 888-369-4777 for more information.

Kansas Rent Assistance Programs
Housing aid will be provided to families and single moms by the Tenant Based Rental Assistance program that provides up to two years of rent subsidies. Additionally, funds for paying security and utility deposits as well as utility bills are being offered to qualified individuals. Contact Bert Nash for Rental Assistance, Security Deposits, and Utility Deposits in Lawrence and Douglas County at 785-842-8110.

Rent and Housing Vouchers
Very low income single moms can receive vouchers as a result of the partnership created between Kansas and the federal Housing and Urban Development. A portion of the monthly rental and housing expenses can be paid for by this government funded program to those residents that qualify. Call 800-955-2232 for more information.

Foreclosure and Housing Counseling
Numerous foreclosure assistance programs and advice can be provided to homeowners by the many government certified non-profit housing counseling agencies in the state. Call 800-383-0217 to contact Housing and Credit Counseling Incorporated.

Cash Assistance and Social Services
A number of referrals, financial assistance programs, and self-sufficiency is provided by the statewide department of Social Services that can help with finding a job, with money for paying health care and insurance, grants for emergency expenses, and more.

Emergency Assistance and Case Management
Basic needs, such as food and housing can be provided to single moms by the several Salvation Army centers that are located across the state of Kansas. Family services, emergency rent and heating bill help, case management, and senior help are some other services that are included.

Kansas Health Care Clinics
Medical care, health services, medication and other support is being provided to people who need help by free community clinics in Kansas.
Free or low cost dental care is also provided alongside other forms of care and aid.
The state of Kansas and non-profit sponsored programs can offer medical care and maybe even health insurance to the uninsured, in addition to the resources mentioned above. Medications, cancer testing, family care, and more may also be included.

Kansas HealthWave (State Children Health Insurance & Medicaid)
This program helps children and young adults in Kansas by providing health insurance and help with paying medical expenses. While there are no copays or deductibles that are needed to be paid for the HealthWave program, premiums of HealthWave will range from $0-$30 per month per family. Call 800-792-4884 to have a program application be sent to you.

Kansas Free Legal Aid
Free legal advice and assistance is offered to Kansas single moms by the numerous programs that can be found across the state. Call 800-723-6953 for Civil Legal Assistance, a program that is part of Kansas Legal Services.

Case Management, Job Training, and Government Grants
A community action agency can be contacted by those who are struggling and those who find themselves without a job. Applying for government grants, providing employment services, are some examples of the help single moms can receive from these organizations. Call 877-509-6757 for questions about KansasWorks services.

Successful Families Program
This program provides assistance services for lower income single moms. The program will help adults with finding a job, it will offer cash assistance and grants, and will provide support services for work, training, employment training activities, and education. It can also offer debt consolidation and assistance programs as well. Call 888-369-4777 to find more information about this program.

Energy Bills
In order to help families and single moms pay for their utility bills, several programs have been created throughout the state of Kansas. To learn more about the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) call 800-432-0043.

State Education Grants for Single Moms

State Education Grants for Single Moms

If you’re a single mom looking to go back to school, you may be daunted by the costs of higher education, especially while trying to raise a family. Luckily, there are resources available to you and other students. Below is a list of state-sponsored scholarships and grants. Click on the links for ... Read More »

Kansas Federation of Republican Women Scholarship

Kansas Scholarship

Greater Salina Community Foundation / Kansas Federation of Republican Women Scholarship The Kansas Federation of Republican Women is the statewide arm of the National Federation of Republican Women and the local clubs in Kansas.  Kansas clubs help with registering people to vote, working at ... Read More »