Blind Services is a section of Louisiana Rehabilitation Services’ Vocational Rehabilitation Program and provides services to eligible individuals who are blind or visually impaired. The Randolph-Sheppard Business Enterprise Program and the Older Blind/Visually Impaired Program are parts of Blind Services.
The Older Blind/Visually Impaired Program expands independent living services for people who are age 55 or older and have a severe visual impairment. Through a grant from the Department of Education Older Blind Program, Louisiana Rehabilitation Services provides funding to 3 contractors: Affiliated Blind of Louisiana, Lighthouse for the Blind in New Orleans and LA Center for the Blind, to coordinate statewide services for Older Individuals who are Blind/Visually Impaired. This program offers hope for those who are age 55 or older with visual impairments.
How do I qualify for services?
Eligibility for the Randolph-Sheppard Business Enterprise Program is based upon an individual with a significant visual disability benefiting from vocational rehabilitation services in terms of achieving employment. Therefore, applications for services are accepted at the time an individual with a disability reaches or nears the minimum age of legal employability.
To be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services, the individual must:
- have a physical or mental disability which for the individual constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment; and
- be able to benefit from vocational rehabilitation services in terms of employment; and
- require vocational rehabilitation services to prepare for, enter, engage in or retain gainful employment.
In addition, an individual must:
- be a U.S. citizen residing in Louisiana
- be 18 years of age or older
- have completed all services on their Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE)
- have documentation of independent living skills
- be a high school graduate or have a GED
- have basic math skills
Since 1988, Louisiana Rehabilitation Services has been providing vocational rehabilitation services under an Order of Selection. This has resulted in priority for services to citizens in Louisiana with the most significant disabilities.
Eligibility for the Older Blind/Visually Impaired Program are:
- be age 55 or older
- have a severe visual disability or legally blind.
Primary Phone Number: ( 337 ) 234 – 6492
Kevin Monk, Executive Director
( 225 ) 219 – 294
For information about resources and applying for Blind Services in Louisiana visit the Louisiana Workforce Commission website.
What do you think?
(Please take a few seconds and leave your comments below. It would be a huge help.)
If you enjoyed this article, get email updates (it’s free).
(don’t miss to activate your subscription, otherwise you will not get the updates)