The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) assists eligible low-income households with their heating and cooling energy costs, and, if the state chooses, to weatherize homes.
General Program Requirements
In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must need financial assistance for home energy costs and your household’s annual income before taxes must not exceed
- $16,245 if one person lives in the household;
- $21,855 if two people live in the household;
- $27,465 if three people live in the household;
- $33,075 if four people live in the household;
- $38,685 if five people live in the household;
- $44,295 if six people live in the household;
- $49,905 if seven people live in the household;
- $55,515 if eight people live in the household; or
- $61,125 if more than eight people live in the household.
- For larger households, add $5,610 for each additional person in the home.
To find out whether you are eligible to receive LIHEAP benefits, contact your state or tribal LIHEAP office. Find here information about how to contact each office.
For help applying for LIHEAP benefits, you may also call this toll-free number:
Program Contact Information
Each state is responsible for administering and designing its own program, which includes determining eligibility requirements and providing assistance within Federal guidelines. Find here information about these guidelines.
Request additional information: firstname.lastname@example.org
(please include your city, county, and state in your message)