HUD – Rental Assistance & Low-rent Apartment Search

HUDHUD’s (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes: utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business.

Rental Assistance

Learn more about renting and HUD rental assistance programs.

  • Privately owned subsidized housing – HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.
  • Public Housing – affordable apartments for low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency (PHA).
  • Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) – find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency.

Local Renting Information

Rental help in your state – find affordable rentals and special needs housing, get help with your utility bills, and more

Need Advice?

  • Contact a housing counseling agency or call toll-free (800) 569-4287.
  • HA Profiles – HA profiles provides more detailed, up-to-date HA information, in addition to address and contact information for individual Public Housing Agencies.
  • PIH Customer Service Center (1-800-955-2232). The PIH Customer Service Center is staffed to answer questions/ inquiries from the public and PHAs regarding public housing and housing choice voucher programs and regulations.

Housing Choice Vouchers

The housing choice voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.


Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family’s income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income. Median income levels are published by HUD and vary by location. The PHA serving your community can provide you with the income limits for your area and family size.

During the application process, the PHA will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition. The PHA will verify this information with other local agencies, your employer and bank, and will use the information to determine program eligibility and the amount of the housing assistance payment

If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher.

Application steps

If you are interested in applying for a voucher, contact the local PHA. For further assistance, please contact the HUD Office nearest to you.

Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the local housing agencies, long waiting periods are common. In fact, a PHA may close its waiting list when it has more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future.

PHAs may establish local preferences for selecting applicants from its waiting list. For example, PHAs may give a preference to a family who is (1) homeless or living in substandard housing, (2) paying more than 50% of its income for rent, or (3) involuntarily displaced. Families who qualify for any such local preferences move ahead of other families on the list who do not qualify for any preference. Each PHA has the discretion to establish local preferences to reflect the housing needs and priorities of its particular community.

Find here a lot more information about how this program work

Share: Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0


  1. ,jessica says

    I am a single mother of 3 a 5,3,and 1 year old!!! just had o leave my husband for verbal abuse!! I tried staying at my parents but they cant afford us. I have no vehicle no nothing…..I am very scared all the shelters I have called in the surrounding Atlanta areas have no room for me and my babys.. I am completely helpless please I have no idea where to turn if u have any info or can help point me in right direction please call 7068165277

  2. Cherise Vega says

    Im a 30 year old single disabled with a pacemaker mother. I have a 7year old daughter and no where to live. Bouncing from there to here its difficult keeping track of my doctors appointments and trying to keep her in school and happy and show my daughter that we are floating above water. Its destructive how one financial miscalculation can create a hole so deep i cant get out of. I’ve looked everywhere i can think of and asked all of the world someone please help or point me in the right direction please 6618743960

  3. Aldrema Jackson says

    I am a single mother of four. My husband left us and i couldnt afford everything on my own. So i was evicted. Me and my children are staying in motels. I desperately need help because i have an eviction its hard to find a place. Plus they want you to make three times the rent i dont make that. I live in hayward ca does anyone know where i can get help for my family. Please somebody help

  4. Saveena says

    I am a single mother who has been looking to
    Get on the Section 8 or Hud Program me an my son
    Been in an out of shelters for 8 years now i even
    Applied for Sec8 back in 2007 an i never got a
    Notice saying if i was aproved or denied an its hard
    For me to find work bc i dnt have a high school
    Daploma i pray too god every night that section8
    Or the Hud Program calls me bc my son an i are
    In need of help .

  5. denise says

    My husband and I are separating and I do not make much at the moment and have no where to go. I have two children. I do have a masters degree and desperately need help getting on my feet….please help.

  6. Ana S. says

    I hear ya I was a single mom for 15yrs. I will keep all you in my
    prayers. It is a hard yet rewarding journey.Remember to Hug
    your children and tell them you love them no matter how hard
    things get or may seem at the time.

  7. Stephanie Kos says

    i’m a single mother of a beautiful 13yr old daughter my car recently broke down in witch i can’t afford to fix because i lost my job and home due to that ,i’ve never recieved child support.and i just need help getting on my feet and in a home ,PLEASE someone HELP i’m scared and i don’t want to lose my daughter ,i’m staying where ever i can mostly in a camper not liveable for a child please help!

  8. Christine says

    I Became a Single Mother this Year i am Homless and need Help finding a home for myself and my Babys can you Please Help ASAP ???

  9. nicole says

    I am a 23 year old looking for a place to live and im currently 8 months pregnant and i have lost hope in ever finding a place to live.. im trying to keep the state from getting avoid in taking my son…

  10. Maria says

    Need help finding affordable section8housing I am a family of 2childrenraising my 7month of grandson my daughter has a brain injury need housing in great neck ny I am a Christian women need help tank you god bless

    • Maria says

      Please help me andmu children don’t know what to do or get serives my daughter is 23brain damaged also I have fer son legal custody 7months I need an angel iam a christian I just need add formidable housing please can some one help us,,,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *