From focusing on the treatment of pediatric cancer in Poland to ophthalmology in Thailand and immunizations in New Orleans, 44 Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles are providing access to health care where children need it most.
Services for Families:
All Ronald McDonald Care Mobile services are provided in a 40-foot long, 8-foot wide, state-of-the-art vehicle built specifically for delivering pediatric health care services. Each vehicle, which ultimately costs around $500,000 to get on the road, includes two patient examination rooms, a laboratory, and reception and medical records areas.
Depending on community needs, Ronald McDonald Care Mobile services may include:
- Primary care, well-child visits and developmental screening
- Diagnostic, preventive and restorative dental care
- Oral hygiene education
- Asthma treatment and self-management education
- Pulmonary function testing
- Vision, hearing and lead screening
- School and sports physicals
- Prenatal care for pregnant teens
- Childhood health promotion and injury prevention education
- Nutrition counseling
- Pediatric specialty care, such as oncology, cardiology and otolaryngology
- Mental health assessment and referral
- Blood collection
- Social service resource referral
- Health education
- Care for special needs children
What makes the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile program unique?
When it comes to delivering health care, RMCMs take a holistic approach.
- Prevention: Deliver health education, which reduces overall medical costs, addresses behavior and lifestyle choices and helps motivate families to improve and maintain their health.
- Treatment: Provide services ranging from immunizations and preventive check-ups to dental care and treatment for chronic and acute illnesses.
- Referral: The staff works with families to help them get access to ongoing care with a primary doctor or dentist.
Building upon unique expertise and strong relationships
RMHC Chapters and local clinical service providers work together to apply their administrative, clinical and operational expertise and community resources to identify gaps in care, then deliver services tailored to the needs of their community.