Temporary Cash Assistance Programs, Michigan

Cash AssistanceCash Assistance

Temporary cash assistance is available for eligible pregnant women and low-income families with minor children. Use MI Bridges to see if you’re eligible and to apply for assistance.

If you are disabled, or care for a disabled person, you may be eligible for State Disability Assistance.

If you receive cash assistance, you may be assigned to Jobs, Education and Training (JET) for help in finding a job or developing job skills. Transportation, childcare and other needs related to employment and training may be provided.


To qualify for cash assistance, children must be a part of your family and meet age requirements. If your child is under the age of 18, or 18 years old and attending high school, you may be eligible. The family or legal guardians of that child (those living with the child – typically parents, stepparents, legal guardian and siblings) are also evaluated as part of the eligibility process.

If you are a pregnant woman or parents of a child in foster care who is expected to return home within one year, you may also be eligible for cash assistance.

In general, DHS will review your assets, countable income and residency to determine what, if any, benefits you may be eligible for.

File application

Find more information here

State Disability Assistance

State Disability Assistance (SDA) provides cash assistance to eligible disabled adults. If you are the caretaker of a disabled person or are age 65 or older, you may be eligible for SDA.

Check eligibility, application and requirements


DHS clients are issued a Michigan Bridge Card to purchase certain food products and access cash benefits at a number of retailers and ATMs throughout the state.

Contact a customer service representative toll-free at 1-888-678-8914 if you:

  • Received your first card in the mail – follow the instructions that came with your card to choose a personal identification number (PIN).
  • Have a lost or stolen card.
  • Suspect someone else is using your card.
  • Have trouble with your card.
  • Forgot or want to change your PIN.
  • Need to know your food and/or cash benefits balance and cannot find your last store receipt.
  • Want to know a location nearby to use your card.

Customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (Spanish and Arabic service is available). If you are hearing- or speech-impaired, call the Michigan Relay Center at 1-800-649-3777.

Find more information here

Share: Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0


  1. CAROLE says

    I’m in need of emergency cash assistance i could pay it back with interest. just behind on everything. if you know any places i could reach out to please let me know. i’m a widow and my daughter is very healthy and i support her 100% and work part time. please email me if you have any information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *