Washington Department of Social and Health Services

If you find yourself in an situation such as: eviction, need of food, medical emergency, pregnancy medical care, homelessness, utilities shut off, domestic violence, non-receipt of benefits, need for daycare, circumstances which present harm to yourself, someone will be available right away to talk to you about your situation.

Medical Programs:
In case of a medical emergency, there is a medical program to help. A financial worker will explain more about the eligibility requirements of the medical programs provided by DSHS.

Emergency Food Assistance:
If you are in need of food, you may qualify for emergency food assistance. If you meet the expedited guidelines and are eligible for food assistance, this will be available within seven days of applying at your Community Services Office. Expedited services are available if you meet any of the conditions below:
• Little or no financial resources
• Not enough money to cover your rent and utilities
• Have a destitute migrant or seasonal farm-worker household member whose available cash does not exceed $100

Emergency Cash Assistance:
In the unhappy event of an emergency and need for a one-time cash payment to get or keep safe housing or utilities, you may be eligible for the Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN) or the Diversion Program. To qualify for these programs, you must meet ALL the requirements listed below:

  • Meet eligibility requirements for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), State Family Assistance (SFA), or Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)
  • Have an emergency housing, utility or other need
  • Have a good reason that you had insufficient funds to pay your housing or utility costs.

A WorkFirst case manager or other staff member can tell you more about these programs.
Application for Benefits is available in multiples languages.
Phone services will be available from 8am – 5pm every business day. Call at 1 (877) 501-2233 Monday – Friday. Hours for interviews are 8am – 2pm.

How to Apply:
You can apply for any of the emergency services listed above at your local Community Services Office.

Eligibility calculator – A helpful tool for single moms!
Answering these questions: how many people are in your home counting yourself, how much money do you earn a month, how much money does your family get in a month other than earnings , how much money does your family have, how much money does your family pay each month in child support (if there is a case) you will find out if you might be eligible for benefits. This tool, TEC – Trial Eligibility Calculator will help you apply to specific programs as Housing and Essential Needs, Basic Food Program, Working Connections Child Care, Medical AssistancePregnant Women Assistance Program, Apple Health for Kids, Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program, Headstart, WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children), WTAP (Washington Telephone Assistance Program), Child Support Services, Refugee Cash Assistance, Aged, Blind or Disabled Cash Assistance Program.

In order to find out more information, or apply for any of these services, contact the Community Services Office (CSO) closest to you.

Find manuals here

Share: Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *