Liquids are as integral a part of our diet as are solids. Sadly when formulating a diet most of us tend to forget about these liquids and all the attention is given to the solid foods that we eat. If looking to lead a healthy and fit life, it is important that we give as much importance to what we drink as we give to what we eat.
Below are a few pointers about what we should drink and what needs to rejected by us:
- Drink water – Water is very good for our system. It helps cleanse our insides and also contributes towards keeping our blood flow correct and our urinary bladder working well. Almost all functions of our body require water and this is why we must drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water everyday. Many of us will avoid a thirst pang and soon we find that it has turned into hunger. This makes us eat instead of drink water which leads to weight gain. It is important therefore to drink water as soon as you feel thirsty. Those who work in the sun or exercise a lot should drink even more water so as to substitute for the water loss via sweating.
- Drink Milk - Milk is rich in calcium and helps us strengthen our bones. So it is important that we drink at least two glasses of milk everyday. The milk must be fresh and as far as possible had after it is pasteurized. Those wanting to avoid the fat content of this liquid can opt for double toned milk instead of full cream.
- Drink fresh juices – Fresh juices are a good drink; though it is best to have fresh fruits instead since out body does need the fiber too. Fresh fruit and vegetable juices rich in vitamin C are highly recommended but one must not have more than a large glass per day, since they may get too acidic for the body. Sugar cane juice is rich in sugar content and again here one must not go over board in having it. Packed fruit juices on the other hand are not good for us and should not be consumed at all.
- Reject aerated beverages - Aerated drinks are very bad for the health and apart from the high content of sugar in them they also contain chemicals that damage the teeth and the body too. So avoid all aerated drinks like the plague.
- Reject coffee - Coffee is another beverage that should be avoided. A small cup of coffee occasionally will not damage much, but its frequent intake is addictive, damaging to the system and very bad for the teeth also.
- Reject alcohol – Alcohol is another drink that we need to reject. Alcohol is very bad for our body and is high in calorie content also. Right from wine, beer to even scotch, avoid it all as far as possible since these liquids spell trouble in more ways than one.
Keep these tips in mind while making your diet chart and you will be able to come up with a better drinking plan.