HUD – Rental Assistance & Low-rent Apartment Search

HUDHUD’s (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes: utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business.

Rental Assistance

Learn more about renting and HUD rental assistance programs.

  • Privately owned subsidized housing – HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.
  • Public Housing – affordable apartments for low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency (PHA).
  • Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) – find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency.

Local Renting Information

Rental help in your state – find affordable rentals and special needs housing, get help with your utility bills, and more

Need Advice?

  • Contact a housing counseling agency or call toll-free (800) 569-4287.
  • HA Profiles – HA profiles provides more detailed, up-to-date HA information, in addition to address and contact information for individual Public Housing Agencies.
  • PIH Customer Service Center (1-800-955-2232). The PIH Customer Service Center is staffed to answer questions/ inquiries from the public and PHAs regarding public housing and housing choice voucher programs and regulations.

Housing Choice Vouchers

The housing choice voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.


Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family’s income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income. Median income levels are published by HUD and vary by location. The PHA serving your community can provide you with the income limits for your area and family size.

During the application process, the PHA will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition. The PHA will verify this information with other local agencies, your employer and bank, and will use the information to determine program eligibility and the amount of the housing assistance payment

If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher.

Application steps

If you are interested in applying for a voucher, contact the local PHA. For further assistance, please contact the HUD Office nearest to you.

Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the local housing agencies, long waiting periods are common. In fact, a PHA may close its waiting list when it has more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future.

PHAs may establish local preferences for selecting applicants from its waiting list. For example, PHAs may give a preference to a family who is (1) homeless or living in substandard housing, (2) paying more than 50% of its income for rent, or (3) involuntarily displaced. Families who qualify for any such local preferences move ahead of other families on the list who do not qualify for any preference. Each PHA has the discretion to establish local preferences to reflect the housing needs and priorities of its particular community.

Find here a lot more information about how this program work

Share: Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0


  1. Crystal M. says

    In desperate search of a 3 bedroom home. My landlord is filing bankrupt on the home I’ve lived in for 10 years. This will leave me and my 4 children without a place to live. I live in such a small town that there is hardly anybody that will accept my HUD voucher. I found 1 home, we went to look at it, I opened the freezer door on the fridge, and there were cockroaches falling out. That place was crawling alive. I would like to get assistance on helping me find us a home. I have 2 pets, non-smoker, excellent references. Please help.

  2. Shawn says

    I am 27 years old with a 4 year old daughter. I lost my job and have recently found employment-well I am underemployed. I am seeking help in finding a new home. I have a place but just about to lose because I really cant afford the rent. I was engaged to a man who left me with paying a $700 rent. I don’t receive a lot of help. But anything would be appreciated.

  3. Treva says

    I’m thinking about about leaving my husband because its been to hard living with him. He pulls us down. I have four kids and another on the way in Sept. We been living with family , its to hard. I know my kids get to them. I need to find a place for me and my kids . how do I start? I’m ready to take this step. I don’t need a man tat will not take care of us. I’m willing to relocate so I can b away from him. I have nothing no home no ride no income. I need to get my kids out of here. Pleas someone help me? I don’t know much about asstance programs.

  4. Patty Calvillo says

    Hi, I’m looking for a single or a one bedroom apt for my 8 year old son my 4 month baby and I . I’m struggling trying to find a place for cheap I’m currently not working but planing on working once I get my own place .

  5. Heather earnest says

    My name is heather and I’m 27yrs old I have five children three girls and two boys and I’m looking for a place to live that I can afford I work two jobs if you can help me please let me know thanks

  6. sandra says

    I am being evicted. And have 3 kids .i have nowhere to take my kids in whichvi have fought to keep them togethet with me.i just enrolled in school. With the enthusiam of bettering my life for my kids just to come home. With an eviction noticr on ky door.i dont know wat to do…
    Just wen i saw how proud my kids were of me i let them down again…if anyone can give me a prayer. Or help me i would be rhankful

  7. KaDaria says

    I’m a single mother of 2 both of my kids fathers walked out on us one says he doesn’t velvet want to see his son the other just moved on n will not try to help bc of his new girlfriend me n my two are constantly bouncing house to house living with people who can’t afford us I have no car no job no help family is giving up on me I’m 19 my kids 1&2 years old I have a hs diploma but no job no place to live

  8. Anamaris Hernandez says

    I’m a single mom with a 1 year old babygirl. I was with her father for 5 years then got left alone after I got pregnant..I’ve been struggling and doing everything I possibly can so that my daughter isn’t missing or in need of anything. I’ve been having to work a low wage job and have had to live paycheck by paycheck. I just lost the only job that was keeping me on my feet and now my daughter and I are homeless because I can’t find a job fast enough to keep us off the streets..please help, I’m stuck, and I have a baby who needs a roof over her head.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *