Emergency & Transitional Housing Program, Illinois

Housing ProgramThe Emergency Shelter program gives immediate and comprehensive shelter services to homeless persons and persons at risk of becoming homeless.

Persons who are homeless or at risk of homelessness can receive services.
The program provides funding for meals, shelter and supportive services to non-profit organizations and local governments.

Shelter programs in Illinois consist of:

  • Overnight shelters – a place to sleep for less than 12 hours.  Meals and supportive services are available.
  • Transitional shelters – shelter for up to 2 years with food and supportive services.
  • Voucher shelter – provided by hotels and motels through a voucher program when shelters are full or not available.

All organizations in this program must also provide supportive services to receive funding. Supportive services involve homeless people and homeless families with many programs to help them return to self-sufficiency. These services may include counseling, advocacy, transportation, training, abuse intervention, housing inspection and placement, and follow-up.

How are the services provided?
Services are provided at shelters run by non-profit organizations and local governments. Programs require that:

  • Shelters meet all local requirements and are safe and humane environments;
  • Shelter programs meet local community needs;
  • Shelter programs demonstrate that they can provide quality services and appropriate referrals to assist homeless persons;
  • Interaction and cooperation be strengthened with private agencies to provide an efficient and effective system for service delivery; and
  • New and varied methods of service delivery be encouraged to provide shelter.

Help line 1-800-843-6154

Find more information here

Share: Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0


  1. says


    I’m a unwed pregnant mom, and homeless. I have run into many obstacles in regards to finding shelter in Chicago Illinois, can you please just give me a listing of locations to seek any type of assistance for myself, as well as my kids, any help at this point is greatly appreciated because I’m at the end of my rope.

    Thanks Chantel

    • Jane says

      Dear Chantel,
      We feel deeply sorry to hear that you are in such an unhappy situation. Here are a few resources you can access in order to get back on your feet.

      We suggest that you seek help from charities, such as Salvation Army, United Way, Catholic Charities, American Red Cross.
      You might also want to check the locally available State Programs.
      We hope this helps.
      Jane, SingleMom.com

      Illinois Department of Human Services (DSHS)

      These are some shelters in Chicago:
      Deborah’s Place
      1532 N. Sedgewick
      Chicago, IL
      (312) 944-8810

      Cornerstone Community Outreach
      4628 N.Clifton
      Chicago, IL. 60640
      (773) 271-8163

      Franciscan Outreach Association
      1645 W. LeMoyne Street
      Chicago, IL 60622
      (773) 278-6724

      Breakthrough Women’s Center
      3330 W. Carroll Ave
      (773) 722-0179

      Maria’s Shelter
      7320 S.Yale
      Chicago, IL 60616
      (773) 994-5350

      New Phoenix Assistance
      7624 S. Phillips Ave., Ste 1 A
      2531 E. 75TH ST.
      Chicago, IL 60649
      (773) 734-7380

      The Night Ministry
      4711 N. Ravenswood Ave.
      Chicago, IL 60640-4407
      (773) 506-4100

      Shelter Inc.
      1616 N. Arlington Heights Rd.
      Arlington Heights, IL 60004
      (847) 590-6190

      Tabitha House
      550 N. Time
      Chicago, IL. 60644
      (773) 261-1100

      Connections for the Homeless
      1458 Chicago Ave. Evanston, IL 60201
      847-424-0945 ext 15

  2. katie says

    I’m a 25 year old mother of a 3 year old son. I’m in a tough situation. I am hoping someone on here knows where I can go to get a safe place to live for me and my son. We stay in Washington state. Someone help us please any info can help. Thank you

    • Jane says

      Hello Katie,

      We are so sorry to hear of the difficult times you are going through.
      SingleMom.com does not have the means to provide actual help. However, we provide information and links to resources provided by the states, federal government, charities and non profit organizations, such as Salvation Army, United Way, Catholic Charities, American Red Cross.
      You might want to check the the resources available by the local Salvation Army and see the local State Programs available.
      Here are some housing as well as other emergency programs for Washington State
      Washington State Department of Social and Health Services
      DSHS Emergency Programs

      We hope that this helps.
      Jane, SingleMom.com

  3. cp says

    Im a 51 year old woman with 2 children havent been able to find work for 4 years, we are losing our apartment for the second time in 2 years. need help

  4. Latrese Jenkins says

    Ive been residing in my apartment along with my boys 12 and 7 i lost my job in september2013 i havent been able to pay my rent for december and january my landlord is asking me to leave i have no place to go im in need of some help

  5. Candi says

    I’m in Los Angeles and I’m having a really hard time right now I have a 7 year old boy. And no place to live, dad doesn’t pay support. Can anyone offer me a place to go for help.

  6. kimberly says

    I’m a single mother i have a 1year old a 3 year old and one on the way with in a few days need help with housing

  7. cheery says

    I’m 22 with a son of 6 years of age lives in Alabama but is from Chicago Illinois an I’m trying to get home but I have no help or reliable resources or family can anyone please help

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *